SISSS00111 Pool Lifeguard Refresher Course
National Lifeguard Training Program – Refresher Course (NLTP)
Professional lifeguards prevent people from drowning by proactively supervising swimmers and those partaking in water activities.
The National Lifeguard Training Program (NLTP) provides professional training for lifeguards to protect guests from injury and drowning. Lifeguards will be required to demonstrate their acquired knowledge and display their understanding of the NLTP.
Upon completion of the NLTP, the lifeguard will receive an SISSS00111 Pool Lifeguard Nationally Recognised Training qualification issued by Southern Education (RTO 41402). At the conclusion of the program and being evaluated against the NLTP standards of operation, which are set to exceed the industry standard for lifeguards, participants will receive an NLTP award outlining their achievements for future employers. All content and related course work will be delivered by an approved NLTP Instructor.
Skills that lifeguards will gain in the SISSS00111 Pool Lifeguard Skill Set
- Anticipating how and where incidents will occur;
- Recognising incidents;
- Effectively managing incidents;
- Thinking critically about possible complications;
- Acting in a professional manner; and
- Protecting the safety of one-self and others.
The lifeguard will be able to react and execute effective rescues without stopping to think about how to perform various parts of a skill. Lifeguards will learn skills that are safe, practical and effective.
Skills that will be gained throughout the NLTP course and physical evaluation:
- 2 minutes treading water with hands above the water
- Retrieve a 5 kg object from the deepest part of the pool (listed and noted)
- Front rescue | responsive guest in distress
- Rear rescue | responsive guest in distress
- Reach and pull rescue | responsive guest in distress
- Deep water rescue | responsive guest in distress
- Rear rescue | unresponsive guest in distress
- Reach and pull | unresponsive guest in distress
- Deep water rescue | unresponsive guest in distress
- Rapid extrication | unresponsive guest in distress
- In water airway management | unresponsive guest in distress
- Spinal management techniques
Competencies achieved upon successful completion of the SISSS00111 Skill Set
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- PUAEME001 Provide emergency care
- PUAEME003 Administer oxygen in an emergency situation
- SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
- SISCAQU006 Supervise clients in aquatic locations
- SISCAQU007 Perform advanced water rescues