SISSS00111 Pool Lifeguard Skill Set
Professional lifeguards prevent people from drowning by proactively supervising swimmers and those partaking in water activities.
This Southern Education program provides professional training for lifeguards to protect guests from injury and drowning. Lifeguards will be required to demonstrate their acquired knowledge and skills to be rescue ready.
Upon the successful completion, the lifeguard will receive an SISSS00111 Pool Lifeguard Certificate, Nationally Recognised Training qualification issued by Southern Education (RTO 41402).
At the conclusion of the program participants will have been benchmarked against standards which are above the required in the industry for lifeguards and participants will receive an award outlining their achievements for future employers.
Skills that lifeguards will gain in the SISSS00111 Pool Lifeguard Skill Set include:
- Anticipating how and where incidents will occur;
- Recognising incidents;
- Effectively managing incidents;
- Thinking critically about possible complications;
- Effective oxygen management of patient to accompany CPR;
- Acting in a professional manner; and
- Protecting the safety of one-self and others.
The lifeguard will be able to react and execute effective rescues without stopping to think about how to perform various parts of a skill. Lifeguards will learn skills that are safe, practical and effective.
Skills that will be gained throughout the course are listed below, but are not limited to:
- Retrieve an object from the deepest part of the pool
- Rescue | responsive guest in distress
- Rear | unresponsive guest in distress
- Deep water rescue | unresponsive guest in distress
- Rapid extrication | unresponsive guest in distress
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Oxygen Resuscitation techniques
- Spinal management techniques
Please note it is a requirement of this course that the practical demonstration of CPR must be performed on the adult manikin on the floor. It is also a requirement of the course to:
- Effectively carry out and perform swimming rescues for at least 10 metres with the casualties’ mouth and nose above the water to a point of safety
- Complete a 200m swim in under 6 minutes without using equipment
- Retrieve an object from the deepest part of the aquatic venue, if greater than 3 metres deep fins can be used.
- Complete a 25 metre swim and 25 metre non-contact tow of a conscious casualty with assisted landing in less than 1minute 45 seconds.
200m Swim Pre-Requisite
25m Swim / Tow Pre-Requisite
Submersible Retrieval Pre-Requisite
The successful completion of this course does not guarantee employment.